Monday, January 7, 2013

Liz Carney: Changing Schools Has Been a Pleasant Surprise


Liz Carney is a freshman at Woodlynde School.
            Going to a new school is scary, especially when you're entering high school. When you hear the words "high school", you think of a gloomy, depressing environment, mean kids, scary teachers, and humongous amounts of homework.  
           I thought all of those things entering Woodlynde on the first day. But it wasn't what I imagined.
            The students here are really nice. The fear of being disliked by everyone was something I couldn't stop thinking of. It was so overpowering that I wanted to hide. But the students were so welcoming and accepting. My worries and fears disappeared after the first day.
            Not only are they kind, but helpful as well. If I need to know where a classroom is, anyone will happily help. In the first week, you already feel like you're a part of the community. Whether it's a smile in the hallway or a quick hi in the lunch room, I never feel like I'm isolated in any way.
            The teachers have also made a wonderful impact on my experience at Woodlynde. They teach class in a way that we still learn but have fun, as well. Also, I know that if I'm struggling, I can ask for help and know that I'll get it. I don't have to worry about failing in any classes. They push you to do your best without stepping over the boundaries. The teachers are nice, patient, and very supportive.
            Being a part of Woodlynde, you have to participate in at least one extracurricular. This year, the school is putting on Footloose, and I decided to take part in it. Since this is my first year, I have no idea what the process is going to be like and it's worrying. But there's a subtle feeling of excitement about the new experience. Even though I have a small part as a cop, I still get to do what I love and be able to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comments on blog posts.